Sunday, October 23, 2016

Logan Sculpture Workshop

This month in Logan, Utah, I taught a 5 day workshop with students from many different parts of the United States. It involved teaching mostly the figure and design concepts for sculpture that help to create a better piece. It was a challenge to plan and have everything I needed to illustrate and teach in an effective way.
 
I had three models. The first morning model did a standing pose, the afternoon model did a sitting pose and I also had a model come in one time and do several timed poses where the students had to sculpt a small figure as fast as they could. It was good for me as well because the class was not so big that I couldn’t sculpt along side them which was also an effective way of teaching.  When they saw how I brought my piece up and gave it life it really helped them understand. It also helped because once I established what was going on with the model in my own piece, I could then help give advice and fix other people’s work. It was challenging helping while trying not to fix too much and end up just doing the sculpture for them so I let people work and helped or offered advice as I saw it necessary.
 I will probably teach another workshop. There was a lot I taught but a tremendous amount that I didn’t teach or found it hard to expand on in such a short time. It has been several years since I have taught and I have a much better understanding of things, what matters and what is just a bunch of fluff.  The next one will take place in Hawaii!

3 comments:

  1. Ah... this post brings back memories of lessons learned by teaching. Thanks for sharing Leroy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the workshop Leroy! It was a blast and I learned a lot. Let me know when you teach your next workshop. I'd love to come out to Hawaii for it!

    Jordan Weisenburger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jordan, thanks for coming. I’ll let you know about Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete